Boys soccer: Cinco Ranch hits tourney
Cinco Ranch has been great the last three years, winning three consecutive district championships in one of the toughest districts around, but it hasn't achieved its ultimate dream of a state title.
The Cougars did redeem themselves in the playoffs last season, advancing to the regional semifinals after falling to Elsik in the first round two years ago. But a 3-0 loss to Clements still hurt.
The road back to district and playoff glory isn't getting any easier for the Cougars, who were up and down at the Cy-Fair Invitational, so one more chance to fine tune things before district is welcome.
They have that opportunity this weekend at the Kingwood tournament, which features 10 teams, including Elsik and Kingwood, which the Cougars beat in double overtime in last year's playoffs.
Cinco Ranch will have matches with Elsik, Humble and Deer Park.
ABOUT THE GAME
• What: 2011 Kingwood Tournament
• When: Thursday, Jan. 27 through Saturday, Jan. 29
• Where: Turner Stadium and Charles Street Stadium
• What's at stake: There isn't a tournament championship at stake, just a chance to play a handful of games against top-notch competition before the season starts to heat up for most of the teams involved with district play.
• Teams: Kingwood, Humble, Cinco Ranch, Deer Park, Langham Creek, Cy-Fair, Elsik, North Shore, Plano East and Georgetown.
• Day 1: Games to watch on the first day of the tournament include Kingwood vs. Plano East at 5 p.m. at Turner Stadium and Georgetown vs. Deer Park at 7 p.m. at Turner.
• Players to watch: Kingwood MFs Nick Murawski and Jordan Nichols, Humble D Andres Franco and GK Rosendo Mendoza, Deer Park MF Austin Roark and D Austin Fletcher, Cinco Ranch F Juan Rendon and GK Cesar Espana
• Teams: Nick Murawski leads the Mustangs' charge this season after the graduation of Andy Jensen. "Nick's one of our best players," Johnson said. "He's a very skilled midfielder." … Humble started much stronger than last season, beating Chavez 3-2 and Columbia 5-0 at the Houston ISD tournament. … Deer Park returned 15 players, nine who were starters, off a playoff qualifying team that picked up some big wins in District 22-5A last season. … Cinco Ranch won its third consecutive district championship last year, when it advanced to the regional semifinals before falling 3-0 to Clements. … Georgetown advanced to the third round of the playoffs last year before being ousted 3-1 by The Woodlands.
Local Advertising by PaperG